Active Ingredient: Hydroxyzine
All you need to know about Atarax
Atarax is a powerful sedative that has a system-wide sedative and relaxing effect on the body.
Atarax is used for the medical treatment of anxiety disorders and mental disorders accompanied by increased excitability, emotional lability, excessive muscle tone and autonomic symptoms. Atarax is able to exert antihistamine, analgesic and antiemetic effects.
The main active ingredient is hydroxyzine dihydrochloride. Although the drug does not belong to the CNS depressants, it is able to have a depressant effect on the activity of some areas of the subcortical region.
The drug is rapidly absorbed in the gastrointestinal tract and enters the blood, after two hours the maximum concentration of the drug in plasma is recorded, increasing by one third when the drug is taken again. When taken internally, the drug has 80% bioavailability. Hydroxyzine is distributed throughout the body, accumulating in the tissues, during pregnancy accumulates in the tissues of the fetus.
Hydroxyzine is metabolized in the liver, less than a percent of the substance is excreted in the urine. In this case, addiction to the drug is not observed. No withdrawal syndrome, the drug does not cause memory impairment.
After about half an hour, the effect on the body begins to manifest itself:
- memory gets better;
- attention is concentrated;
- musculature relaxed;
- analgesic effect is manifested;
- increases sleep duration;
- the number of awakenings at night decreases;
Indications for use
- for the treatment of anxiety, fear and irritability;
- in the treatment of withdrawal syndrome in alcoholics;
- as a sedative for preoperative sedation;
- for the symptomatic treatment of itchy skin.
Instructions for use - dosage
Atarax tablets intended for internal use. If you have been prescribed Atarax, then it is important to know how to take the drug correctly.
- Treatment should begin with a dose of 25 mg per day, in the future, the dosage can be increased to 4 doses of 25 mg, but not more than 200 mg at a time, or 300 mg per day.
- For children from the age of three, the dose is calculated as 1 mg / kg of baby weight per day.
- To relieve anxiety, take 50 mg per day, however, in cases of severe disease, the dosage can be 300 mg per day, half divided into two doses: in the morning and at lunch, and the second half is drunk completely at night.
- In cases when the patient is diagnosed with renal or hepatic failure, the dose should be reduced by 2 times.
- For sedation before surgery, 50-200 mg of the drug is prescribed. Reception is carried out an hour before the appointed surgical intervention. It is also possible to receive additional 500 mg of the drug at bedtime, before morning anesthesia.
The dosage for a child is 1 mg / kg of weight, the drug is taken an hour before the scheduled operation.
It should be remembered that the dosage depends on the response of the body to the therapy and is chosen individually by the doctor. The duration of treatment is also determined only by the attending physician, the usual duration is four weeks, but depending on the condition of the patient and the diagnosis, the doctor can change these values.
Possible side effects
- depression of CNS function or hypersensitivity may sometimes occur;
- lower blood pressure;
- rapid pulse;
- image clarity may be reduced;
- nausea, sometimes even vomiting;
- the appearance of constipation;
- feeling of constant fatigue.
To these side effects, possible neurological disorders are added:
- insomnia or increased sleepiness;
- tremor is possible, seizures sometimes occur;
- feeling of confusion;
- hallucinations are possible;
- bronchospasms with suffocation;
- urinary problems;
- the development of allergic reactions: urticaria, itching, rash.
Atarax is not prescribed:
- in case of sensitivity to the components of the drug;
- if porphyria is diagnosed;
- during pregnancy;
- due to the lactose content, the drug is not prescribed for those with hereditary intolerance to galactose.
It is also worth noting that with caution you need to take the drug:
- with frequent constipation;
- in violation of urination;
- if intraocular pressure is increased;
- in case of dementia;
- with frequent convulsive seizures;
- in cardiac arrhythmias;
- while taking medications that affect the heart rhythm, depressing the function of the central nervous system;
- in case of kidney or liver failure.
Interaction with alcohol and other drugs
While taking Atarax with drugs that have a suppressive effect on the central nervous system, its effect on the body is enhanced, which must be considered when determining the dosage.
It is not allowed to take Atarax with drugs of the MAO inhibitor group and anticholinergic drugs.
At the same time taking the drug with Zimetidine, there is an increase in hydroxyzine in the plasma.
It is also not recommended to take medications simultaneously, which inhibit the function of the central nervous system, due to the increasing effect of their administration.
Atarax is known to suspend the anticonvulsant action of phenytoin and the action of adrenaline.
It is noted that when taking alcoholic beverages, the effect of the drug is enhanced.
Atarax during pregnancy
Penetrating through the placenta, the drug accumulates in the tissues of the fetus, providing a toxic effect on it. Such a child has a low blood pressure after birth, seizures are possible, motor activity may be impaired, and CNS depression is observed.
Therefore, Atarax is contraindicated for use during pregnancy. When breastfeeding need to take a break in feeding the child while taking the drug.
Atarax for children
Many parents are accustomed to self-prescribing medicines to their child, believing that they know better what will help their baby. However, pediatricians are well aware that the child’s body can react to any drug in a different way than described in the instructions and as expected by the parents. Therefore, taking Atarax is possible only under the supervision of a physician, who will be able to promptly correct the course of therapy if an unexpected reaction from the body of the child occurs.
The use of Atarax in the treatment of children is possible from the age of one year. Atarks, as it is known, is a tranquilizer, relieves fears, emotional tension, relaxes muscles, relieves itching and bronchospasms. It is this excellent combination of antihistamine effect with sedative effect that made the drug so in demand in the treatment of allergic manifestations:
- Atopic dermatitis, which in young children occurs in a rather complex form, the child can neither eat nor sleep. It is precisely atarax that is able to alleviate the condition of a sick baby, effectively relieve itching, have a calming effect, ensure good sleep and improve the general condition of the child;
- atarax is very effective in treating bronchial asthma, suppressing an allergic reaction and at the same time contributing to the relaxation of smooth muscles, which leads to the removal of bronchospasm;
- atarax is indicated for neurotic conditions of a child caused by a long-term disease;
- the drug is also indicated for children with increased excitability, motor activity and mental disorders;
- in order to reassure the child before the upcoming operation.
The child can not use Atarax:
- at the age of one year;
- in case of hypersensitivity to one of the components of the drug;
- with lactase deficiency;
- in violation of the absorption of glucose and galactose.